Just saw the movie for the first time, at the urging of many friends and youth from church. Good flick. Artsy…intense…trippy…odd…amazing. It’s cool that they were able to weave 33 different Beatles songs into the plot (in many cases, entire songs!). I’m not a huge Beatles fan, but I have much love for their body of work.
A few highlights:
- I counted at least 5 songs from the “Abbey Road” LP, my personal favorite Beatles album
- The “Let It Be” scene…powerful
- JoJo’s character (akin to Jimi Hendrix)
- Jim Sturgess (I also liked him in 21 and The Other Boleyn Girl)
- The “Oh Darlin” scene
- Cameos by Joe Cocker, Bono, and Eddie Izzard
It’s lengthy, confusing, and drawn-out in spots…but not so much that it detracts from the overall quality. Beatles fans will be pleased. I liked it. All in all, I recommend it. 8.5 out of 10.